Madison welcomes the grand opening of the Science Museum.
I helped make the signs for the Sector67 room, which has exciting hands-on exhibits made by fellow Sector members Shira, Bob, Nathan Meronek, Scott Hasse, Chris Meyer and more.
We made the ceiling signs using the vinyl cutter. The tricky part was carefully sticking the vinyl to the acrylic in the right position, without rotation or wrinkles. In order to make the acrylic frosted, Chris Meyer showed me how to sand it using the random orbital sander. It was the first time that I has scratch acrylic on purpose. The wall signs were printed regular paper using Sector's on large format printer and then sandwiched between acrylic. All 3 layers were cut on the laser cutter to ensure a perfect line-up.
I got married in August of 2014, and we served pie. I made cardboard and parchment paper boxes for guests to take leftover pie home. I used the laser cutter at Sector67 and some chipboard (cardboard) that was kindly donated by another Sector member for us to use at a discount.
I drew the designs in Adobe Illustrator. The chipboard was cut and scored using the CNC laser cutter, and then glued using Elmer's glue and clips to hold them while they dried.
The liner was made of parchment paper to insure that pie-goo would not soak through the chipboard. It turns out that parchment paper is not only impervious to pie jelly, but it also resists all glues and tape that I tried. Since I could not use an adhesive to secure the liner in a triangle shape, I decided to use folded tabs and slots instead.
Parchment paper cuts easily on the laser cutter, but I was unable to score it because even the lowest setting cut through the parchment paper. Instead, I laser cut a piece of wood with guide-slots for where the creases should be. Then I used a dried-up old BIC pen to score the parchment using the wooden template.
Then it was folded along the score lines and the tabs inserted into the slots.
I bought some wooden forks from Amazon, and my Friend, Allison, helped me tie them to the box lids with ribbon.
The boxes worked really well for holding pie, but somewhere along the course of the night the staff hid all the pie boxes left under a table so guests thought we had run out. Oh well! We have been finding other uses for them.
I made this animation to help describe the concept behind the NSA Away encryption device. The NSA Away was Sector67's submission to the 2014 Hackaday prize. We made it to the semifinals, and won a $1K box of electronics and a 3D printer for our Makerspace.
I drew this figure for the Chanda Lab illustrating how a particular amino acid on an ion channel interacts with it's environment and effects the Kinetics of the channel's opening and closing.
Read the article here.
I drew the images in a methods animation for a Journal of Visualized Experiments article, which is a video-based science journal. It's about a technique to culture and visualize hippocampal neurons and it is written by the Lochner lab at Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Oregon (my Alma mater). Unfortunately, you can only watch the full video if your IP address is on the campus of a university that subscribes to JoVE.
The biggest challenge with this project was to choose information that the public would find interesting and understandable. We wanted to provide detailed, specific information without being dull or actuarial. I was guided by Dr. Laura Helft, Science Outreach Specialist for the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. We took great care to make the calculations as accurate, conservative, and as honest as possible. Please spread the word about the importance of vaccines against debilitating and deadly diseases like Rubella, Polio, Whooping Cough, Measles, Mumps, Shingles, & Meningitis.